All horse riders aim to become better riders but they think it’s very difficult to do so and that’s why they give up easily, but the truth is that there are only a few steps that divide riders from good to greater ones. The good news is that becoming a great rider is easier than we think and if you really want to improve your riding, with the rights steps and the right practice you can achieve it even in simply a few hours riding a week. We have compiled a list with some very useful steps for everyone who aspires to be a better horse rider. Check them out!
- Set up your goals
If your goal is simply to be a better rider, keep in mind that there some things that you should do and while you are deciding what you want to accomplish it’s also necessary to have a reasonable timeframe in your mind. If you haven’t been riding for a while, or if your horse has been resting throughout all this time, then no matter how much you want to you’re not going to be able to participate in different competitions. Establishing a time frame will encourage you to measure both yourself and your horse whilst helping you apprehend that you can effortlessly accomplish your goal.
- Create a plan
Whatever you decide to do it’s astonishingly helpful to formulate a written plan. I know that may sound dull but trust us it really helps to do achieve your goals, particularly when you have a set back further down the line and think you’ve not accomplished anything. By writing a plan it will show you how far you have come whilst also helping to keep you on track. It’s up to you to decide how complicated your plan will be but what is more essential is that you take your ultimate goal and then break it down into little steps.
- Believe in yourself and in your horse
When it comes to riding, believe in yourself it can make a big difference. Not believing in yourself will have a negative impact on your riding for two major causes:
- You’re holding yourself back – If you’re continually thinking about a slip you made the other day, or that you’re just not skilled enough to do it you’re really telling yourself you can’t do it. You might not even be conscious of it but thinking negatively will not only stop you from seeking but also from advancing. It’s not simple but if you can put any negative feelings out of your mind it will definitely help. Instead of guessing about where you did something incorrect think about why you did it that way, how can you not do that repeatedly and what you did correctly. Nobody’s perfect and believing that you’re not will help you to grow because you’ll realize it doesn’t matter if you make a mistake because you’ll learn from it and will succeed next time.
- Horses are delicate animals – While your horse won’t recognize precisely what you’re imagining and how you’re feeling he will apprehend that something is wrong. How he administers with this will mainly be down to his temperament but he will most possibly take this as a hint that something is wrong or there’s something to be scared of. If he feels that there’s a big reason for him to be worried then he won’t be calm either, you’ll, hence, have to deal with his nerves as well as your negativity.
- If it’s necessary, get a trainer
Asking the help of a trainer isn’t a sign of vulnerability but a sign of power because it takes bravery to acknowledge that you have to improve further. It’s the responsibility of a trainer to not only assist you to achieve your goals but also become a more trustworthy all-round rider. They will work with you to encourage you to concentrate on the areas where you need to improve. Trainers can be pricey and not everybody can support to pay for tutoring every week so don’t worry if this is the problem, if your trainer is any good then they’ll realize that and will work with you to form a plan where you can still accomplish what you aspire to but with fewer lessons from them.
- Consider trying online training
Many people are very skeptical when it comes to online training but the truth is that they are very helpful and there several websites that contribute helpful training videos to guide you improve your riding, help you manage the time you spend with your horse or just help repair problems you already have. You just have to Google them!